Are you a Pink Panther or a Donald Duck?
Back when I first started studying the human body and learning about spinal mechanics, degrees of measurement within the spine and how to measure spinal curvatures, it was a very common finding to assess most people and discover a Donald Duck spinal posture.
In other words, an increased lumbar spinal curve – think tail out, increased curve in lumbar spine – just like Donald Duck!
Then the dotcom era really took off, followed by the I-everything, and everything changed.
It started slowly at first, then more and more people were presenting with the exact opposite readings. They showed a complete reversal more towards a Pink Panther-type spinal posture: a flattened lumbar spine, almost straight up.
But it wasn’t just the lumbar spine (the lower part of the back) that was changing. Upper backs were also starting to migrate more forward, developing into a hunched over posture. I think most people sat at a desk or spent time standing looking at their phone.
So what’s the big deal, right?
Well, it is a big deal, or at least it will definitely become one at some stage in life if spinal mechanics are left unchecked.
Pink Panther Spine
A flattened lumbar spine (Pink Panther), can be a pre-cursor for a whole range of health-related issues, including:
- Lack of CSF flow within the spine, which cleans, lubricates and keeps the spine healthy and strong
- Reduced breathing function
- Poor posture
- Sciatic pain
- Low back pain
- Spinal disc herniations
- Energy loss
- Lack of muscle symmetry
- Reduced movement
- Compression of discs and nerves
This list is not complete, but these are the most common we see.
Is a Donald Duck posture any better? Unfortunately not! This has its own issues.
The Ideal Spine
The ideal spine is one that has:
- Neutral alignment
- Good flowing CSF
- Great range of movement in extension and flexion
- Great ability to maintain posture
- Great rotation
- No pain
How can you protect your spine?
- Don’t slump in your chair
- Drink enough water to keep your spine hydrated
- Reduce inflammation in your gut; this has a serious impact on your spinal health
- MOVE! We are designed to move daily, even if that is simply walking for 20 minutes each day. (Have you noticed how many people need to prop themselves up with a trolley whilst walking around the supermarket)
- Strengthen your core and build a stronger spine
Let us help you
Our advanced assessment protocol leaves no stone unturned. That’s why we have built a reputation over the last 16 years for working with medical write-offs – those cases that the medical industry has given up on.
Look after your spine. There are no replacements available!